Energy Management, ISO Standards, ISO certification Ireland
What is ISO 50001:2011?
ISO 50001:2011 Energy Management Standard was developed to ensure that energy management becomes integrated into your organisational business structure, so that your organisation works towards helping save energy, save costs and improve energy and business performance.
ISO 50001:2011 can be integrated with existing organisational management systems such as ISO 9001 to further enhance your organisations resource optimisation, whilst creating greater energy and environmental awareness within the organisation.
Adoption of ISO 50001:2011 will contribute to the setting up of a continuous improvement process that will lead to more efficient energy use. It will help your business to implement an energy monitoring plan as well as energy analysis.
The standard specifies requirements for an energy management system to enable your organisation to develop and implement policy and objectives which take into account legal requirements and information about significant energy aspects such as identifying significant areas of energy consumption and also targeting energy reductions. It is a useful document for all types and sizes of organisations and accommodates diverse geographical, cultural and social conditions. The standard can be used independently or integrated with any other management system such as ISO 14001:2004 environmental management systems.
Who does the system apply to?
ISO 50001:2011 applies to any organisation that wishes to:
- Improve energy performance in a systematic way.
- Establish, implement, maintain and improve an energy management system.
- Ensure that it conforms to its stated energy policy.
- Demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Seek certification of its energy management system by an external organisation.
- Make a self-evaluation and self-declaration of conformance with the standard.
Benefits of EnMS
- Reduce your energy costs
- Improve your business performance
- Comply with legislation
- Reduce your Greenhouse Gas emissions
- Integrate your management systems
- Secure your energy supply
- Develop opportunities for new products and services in the low-carbon economy of the future.
- Applicable to any organisation, large or small and from any industry.
- Improved public image, enhanced reputation and improved brand image.
- Increases profitability
- Improved staff motivation
Stages to Implementation
- See how existing policies and practices align with the requirements of the standard.
- Determine the needs of your organisation.
- Establish energy policy and energy objectives.
- Conduct initial review of energy aspects.
- Determine necessary processes and responsibilities.
- Provide resources to attain energy objectives.
- Establish methods for energy monitoring and energy analysis.
- Determine energy efficiency and energy performance indicators.
- Establish means to effective operational control.
- Review and monitor for continual improvement in energy efficiency.
QMS Solutions service to you
QMS Solutions will design, develop and implement your complete EnMS in consultation with you and your team. We also provide customised in-house training on all aspects of your new EnMS, tailored to your specific training needs and business requirements
Steps to Certification
- Following initial quotation, an assessor will review your company’s work environment, facilities and equipment which contribute to process, product and / or service.
- Conduct an Initial Energy Review defining all energy assets. Prepare a Sustainability Report and Payback Analysis over the life cycle of your business, product or service.
- Review and approve options in support of energy management targets as per agreed project approach.
- Develop Energy Policy, Objectives, Plans, Processes and EnM Programme.
- Handover / implementation of your Energy Management System
- Provide in-house training where appropriate.
- Assist with 3rd party registration and certification.
- Follow-up audits and pre-audits on request in advance of annual independent audit.