Environmental management Systems, Environmental Standards, Environmental Training Ireland
Definition of an Environmental Management System
- The part of the overall management system that includes organisation structure, planning activities, responsibilities, practices, procedures, processes and resources for developing, implementing, achieving, reviewing and maintaining the environmental policy
Scope of ISO 14001 EMS
- 14001 specifies the requirements for an EMS, to enable an organisation formulate a policy and objectives taking into account legislative requirements and information about significant environmental impacts. It applies to those environmental aspects which the organisation can control and have influence. It does not itself specify environmental performance criteria.
What is ISO 14001:2015 EMS? ISO 14001 EMS Hierarchy
- Environmental Policies and Plans
- Registers of Environmental Aspects and Legislation
- Environmental Procedures Manual
- Objectives, Targets and Management Program
- Environmental Record
- It is a management tool
- It drives performance improvement
- It is an internationally recognised Environmental management system
- It is a voluntary standard for environmental management
- The standard provides a framework which when applied ensures the effective management of your environmental aspects and continuous performance improvement
Benefits of EMS Implementation
- Provides a Framework for legislative and regulatory compliance
- Cost savings (< waste, rework, recycle)
- Customer assurance, requirements
- Investment and insurance (reduce future costs)
- Improved market opportunities
- Improved company image
- Improved environment
Stages to implementation
- Management Commitment
- Carryout Initial Environmental Review (IER) (not assessed for)
- Document / Develop EMS
Environmental Aspects & Impacts
An aspect is an element of an organisation’s activities, products or services that can interact with the environment.
A significant environmental aspect is one which can have a significant environmental impact
An impact is any change to the environment, whether adverse or beneficial, wholly or partially resulting from an organisations activities, products or services.
Consider the following environmental aspects associated with activities at operating units:
- Emissions to air;
- Releases to water;
- Waste management;
- Contamination of land;
- Use of raw materials and natural resources;
- Other local environmental and community issues.
- Improved environment
QMS Solutions service to you
- QMS Solutions will design, develop, draft and implement your complete EMS in consultation with you./li>
- We will also provide in-house training on all aspects of your new EMS, tailored to your specific training needs and business requirements
Steps to Certification
- Following initial quotation, an assessor will review your company’s product, processes, procedures, facilities, work environment and resources./li>
- Develop Draft Environmental Policy, Objectives, Plans, Processes, EM Programme, Procedures and Records as per ISO 14001 to include applicable exceptions.
- Review and approve the above documentation with the client, as per agreed project approach.
- Handover / implementation of your Environmental Management System
- Provide in-house training where appropriate.
- After a period of 3 months QMS Solutions will review the establishment of the EMS and seek registration were appropriate.
- Follow-up audits and pre-audits are conducted on request in advance of the clients annual independent audit.